Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Speech, Part 4

I saw William Young, the writer of The Shack on 100 Huntley Street last night. It made the story more meaningful and more understandable in terms of its controversial elements. He certainly came across as a person with the true meaning and depth of Christianity, and more importantly what it means to be a Christian, as a genuine concern for him.


But, that is not what this post is about.


I’ve noticed that there is no difference in the Christian community and the rest of our society with regard to things like gossip. I don’t know why gossip and gluttony are both ignored.
What is gossip? “Idle talk about the personal or private affairs of others.”
Most of the stuff we talk about are the private affairs of others. We’re spreading them for what reason? Most people gossip because we like to spread salacious dirt on others. It starts early in life. We tend to carry on. It is a struggle to not do the same. There is a definite line between gossip and passing on needed information.

A co-worker said once, “do you care about me enough to tell me to stop gossiping?”

We think we can say things because we have freedom of speech. Show me that phrase in the Bible, “freedom of speech!” We need to think the opposite. We need to think of the freedom to remain silent.

The truth in love is a terrific thought. We need to ensure we use both.

In our home, we've been really convicted over the past several months over watching shows on tv that bring criticism to our lips. Shows that make us judge others and their talents or ideas of fashion. There are so many designed today to make us shake our heads at the foibles and missteps of others that it makes me stop looking at myself and what I should be doing to make things better where I can actually make a difference.

No comments: